About the Reading Group category

Suggest papers, peruse previous conversations, and participate in our ongoing data science and machine learning reading group!

You can check out the current list of prospective articles, blogs, videos, and books here, and if you’d like to add to the list of suggestions feel free to open an issue or submit a PR!

At any given time we’ll have two reading groups going, a bi-weekly group that focuses on shorter content, and a monthly group that focuses on longer content (usually a chapter book).

Bi-weekly reading group

• Every other Monday (Tuesdays when there’s a US holiday) we’ll post a poll with four options
  • The poll will stay open until 10AM Central on Thursday of the same week, at which time a general discussion thread will be posted in the Reading Group category.
  • You’re welcome to respond to the general discussion thread, as well as start your own topic related to the reading.

Monthly reading group

• The first Monday of each month (Tuesdays when there’s a US holiday) we’ll post a poll with four options
  • The poll will stay open until 10AM Central on Thursday of the same week, at which point anyone interested in participating should make arrangements to purchase or borrow the book.
  • The first day of the following month a general discussion thread will be posted in the Reading Group category.
  • You’re welcome to respond to the general discussion thread for the book, and encouraged to start your own topic related to the reading!
1 Like

hi y’all! just a quick update:

interest in the bi-weekly reading group has fallen off significantly over the last few weeks, and with the upcoming holiday I’d like to put the bi-weekly readings on pause until the new year. We’ll still focus on our monthly book clubs (this month, December, we’re reading Atlas of AI!), and I’d love to know what would make the bi-weekly group useful for you!

some ideas I’ve been playing around with:

• bi-weekly meet-ups over Zoom to discuss the paper
  • co-working hours where we can get on Zoom, socialize, and get some work done (everyone working on their respective projects)
  • some kind of bi-weekly collaborative project

what else is of interest to you? drop your ideas below!